Saturday, January 28, 2012

Practicing Awareness of Microagressions

               I can remember one instance when I was the target of a microaggression. In this particular instance I was working at a child care center, and on that particular day I happened to be covering the office for our office manager. A male parent came into the office to discuss his bill. He looked at me, looked around, and asked for the office manager. I told that parent that the office manager was out and asked could I help him. He hesitated, but then explained how he felt there was a discrepancy in his bill. I looked at his bill and explained where charges had been applied and payments had been made. He shook his head in agreement and said, “Wow! A pretty woman who understands accounting! Will wonders ever cease?” Besides the fact that he used a microinsult (Laureate Education, 2010) to marginalize me as a female, he used the stereotype that attractive women are unintelligent. I understand that the comment was well-intentioned, and in fact was meant as a compliment, but the insult was still taken. I chose to smile and bear the injustice.

                I understand that people can get very offended by certain comments. I am usually quite understanding of other people’s micoraggressions. However, I see now that it is extremely important to think before you speak. I reminded myself of this at work frequently, but I always reminded myself to avoid hurting my teachers feelings when I spoke with them about something which they needed to improve upon. Now I understand that it is also important to remind myself when I speak to anyone with comments that address any topic of diversity.

References:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2010). Microaggressions in Everyday Life [DVD]. Perspectives on Diversity and Equity. Baltimore, MD.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    It is important to choose our words carefully when addressing our co-workers as well as our parents. We all should get in touch with any biases that we might unconsciously have and deal with them so that we are not guilty of perpetrating a micraggression ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an insult! Sometimes I feel as though there are still a few guys left out there who think that women are inadequate at most things! Way to show him!!! :)

    You are absolutely right about having to choose our words carefully. Sometimes even the most innocent of comments can have such a negative undertone...without even knowing it. It is imperative that we take the initiative to learn about others who are different from us so that we can be more cognizant of the comments we make.

    ReplyDelete