Saturday, October 13, 2012

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: Internationally


            As an early childhood educator I have a responsibility to continue my professional growth. That growth includes exploring employment opportunities that address issues in the early childhood field globally. Children and families throughout the world face many different problems for which they need support. Within many international organizations there are employment opportunities that allow me to make a difference in the lives of families and children. Recently I explored three such opportunities.

            Save the Children (2012) is an organization with a mission to embolden the advancement in the way people and governments around the world serve children “and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives” (Save the Children, 2012). Changing the lives of children and families is an aspiration of mine. Within this organization I would be capable of making that change worldwide. Save the Children often provide emergency services in areas of the world ravaged by war, environmental disasters, and economic depravity. These emergency services include educational supports. The organization has many openings for emergency relief personnel, but there is one open position that I found appealing. They are seeking an “Emergency Education Cluster Coordinator” (Save the Children, 2012). This position requires the applicant to coordinate emergency educational efforts in an attempt to provide continued education to children in countries or cities where an event has caused a halt in such education. The applicant is required to have excellent communication skills, applicable education, experience leading highly collaborative groups, and experience in humanitarian response.  I do not qualify for this position. I have no experience with humanitarian aid, but I think that it is something that can be achieved.

            Free the Children (2012) is an international organization dedicated to providing children with the tools and education they need in order to become citizens of change in their communities. Removing barriers such as poverty, access to education, and unfair child rights laws is one of the many goals of this organization. Armed with a passionate belief that children need supporters of their rights throughout the globe, I looked for opportunities within this organization. They currently have an opening in Toronto, Canada for a Partner Relations Coordinator (Free the Children, 2012). The applicant would have the responsibilities of managing projects and coordinating different departments within the Free the Children organization. To qualify, I would need a post-secondary degree in an applicable field, strong oral, written, and analytic skills, and an outstanding work ethic. I am not well-versed in organizing different collaborative groups within a charitable organization, but with experience and practice, these skills may be achieved.

            The Association for Childhood Education International (2011) is an international organization with the purpose of helping educators recognize and value the uniqueness of individual children, and working globally on the quality and equity of education for children from infancy to adolescence. Education of children is the basis of my professional career. Furthering my efforts to promote education worldwide could provide enormous professional satisfaction for me. Therefore, I researched opportunities within this organization. While I could find no employment opportunities per se, Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI) is looking for executive board members. From applications, they will nominate people who are educators from the global community, are from the nonprofit management sector that influences the impact of education, and /or are practitioners and academics in the education field. They would need to have a commitment to ACEI’s mission and goals, as well as being representative of different nations, and possess strong leadership and skills. I do not possess the skills and qualifications necessary for this position, but may be capable of entering into this organization as an intern or a low level position.

            It is difficult to imagine myself working in another country. The thought of being unfamiliar with my surroundings and of feeling lost in communication due to language actually frightens me quite a bit. I have never really been an adventurous person. However, I seek to adhere to the advice of “do something every day that scares you.” If I do adhere to this advice, I think I would be quite capable of making a positive difference in the lives of children and families on a global level.


References:

Association for Childhood Education International. (2011). Qualifications for candidates for the   acei executive board. Retrieved from http://www.acei.org

Free the Children. (2012). Careers. Retrieved from http://www.freethechildren.com

Save the Children. (2012). Careers. Retrieved from http://www.savethechildren.org

1 comment:

  1. Amanda,

    The position you discussed with Save the Children sounds really interesting. Working in areas that have experienced disaster or conflicts that limit accessibility to education would definitely be a huge challenge!

    I appreciate your thoughts on working in another country. I would love to live and work in another country as I think the experience would be life changing.

    Thank you for your insights into international careers!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete