Friday, December 23, 2011

When I Think of Research…

When I began my journey through this graduate degree, this was the course that I dreaded the most. I have always had a fear of research. Yet, I have gained some helpful insights about the research process that have made research a bit more comfortable for me. Historical research is important when beginning a research project. Researchers need to know what has already been proven about their topic and this will help them decide if their topic is worth pursuing. I learned that it is the ethical responsibilities of researchers working with children to not only get the informed consent of the child’s parents, but to also get the informed consent of the child when possible. I found the explanation of variables in the course assisted me in identifying the variables in my research simulation easily. A final insight into the research is the process of triangulation. Without some type of triangulation within the data collection process, it is quite difficult to obtain valid outcomes (Mac Naughton, Rolfe, & Siraj-Blatchford, 2010).

Deciphering the differences between qualitative and quantitative designs of research has decidedly changed how I thought research outcomes should be achieved. While in the beginning of my simulation, I felt I would only be quantifying data, I learned through class discussion that it would be more beneficial for me to use a mixed methods approach in the research process. Being careful to collect the appropriate data allows for more reliable, more valid research.

Researchers should understand that young children respond more effectively and are more willing to give information to someone with whom they have a strong relationship. This being the case, a researcher should possess the skills necessary to build a strong and trusting relationship with young children (Mac Naughton, Rolfe, & Siraj-Blatchford, 2010). Researchers doing direct observation on young children should also be aware of a child’s cultural and familial background.

I encountered several challenges when I went through the process of my research simulation. My main challenge was limiting my hypothesis to specific, testable objectives. I began with a very broad idea and had a difficult time breaking it down into a simplistic idea. However, as we got to our section on variables, I was able to limit my hypothesis based on what I wanted to test and how I wanted to manipulate it in order to test it (Lepuschitz, 2011).

Early childhood professionals should be aware of who is coming into their classrooms to do research, and should never allow that person to have power over the teacher to the point where he or she would change their behavior in an effort to help the researcher obtain the information they want. Being aware of equity in research studies is very important in early childhood research and it is something that is very important for professionals in early childhood research to remember (Mac Naughton, Rolfe, & Siraj-Blatchford, 2010).
It has been a pleasure learning with everyone in this class this semester. I have learned a great deal from the other students in this learning community. They have clarified topics on which I was confused and helped me to present a specific research simulation that was an important topic for me. I wish everyone well in the future.

References:

 Lepuschitz, J.K. (2011). Quantitative designs: An overview. Laureate Education Inc., Baltimore, MD.

Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S. A., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010). Doing early childhood research:        International perspectives on theory & practice. (2nd ed.). London, England: McGraw Hill.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    I did not realize how challenging this course was going to be until with got into. I feel the knowledge gained from this course has being astounding. However, I am not sure just how comfortable I am jumping into another research project right away. You have continued to share a lot of important factors in this class. Thank you for sharing your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    I too encountered several road bumps while forming my research simulation. I still do not understand the who, what, when, why's and how's that go into this type of project. Every application assignment just seemed to go over my head. This type of online course should have more examples of exactly what is needed to succeed on the assignments.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete