Saturday, February 25, 2012

Professional Hopes and Goals

My hope for working with diverse families in the future is that the families will share with me all of the things about their diversity on which they place high value. This information can enable me to be more responsive in my planning of the environment and the activities within the classroom. This information can also cut down on miscommunications and unintentional offensive remarks or actions.

A goal I have for the early childhood education field is twofold. First, quality training and education on diversity and equity should be a national requirement. Second, we should be recruiting teachers to the field who understand, value, and respect diversity; teachers who can look beyond their personal feelings and beliefs that may be biased, to see that all children regardless of their background deserve the same rights, respect, and opportunities.

Finally, I would like to thank all students in this program for the support, understanding, and support you have shown me throughout the semester. Diversity and equity can be difficult topics to understand, especially if you have not had much experience with diversity. Explanation of certain key concepts with personal experiences has deepened my grasp of the concepts. Thank you for sharing and helping me to grow. I wish all of you nothing but good fortune in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    I agree with you that more teachers should be taught and recruited who understand the value of diversity. Also very important like you mentioned that the field needs more teachers and personnels that look beyond their personal feelings and needs, to serve children and families from diverse communities.
    Thank you so much for your insights all through this course. I wish the best in all that you are involved in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you are right that teachers should understand the value of diversity. There should be training on this subject so that we are addressing the issues of diversity in a respectful way and obtaining the necessary information to provide an inclusive environment for all children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,
    I share your passion of giving children quality education and recruiting teachers that value and respect diversity because we are on a journey to know more, about ourselves, stand up for children’s quality education and make families reach their goals for their children. Thanks, it has been my pleasure reading your blog all through this course.

    ReplyDelete