Saturday, February 18, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around the World




Country: Republic of Nauru


The five ways I will prepare myself to be culturally responsive to this family:


1. Although most Nauruans speak English as a second language, it will be important for me to know some basic words and phrases in Nauruan in order to decrease misunderstandings and confusion due to communication barriers.


2. I will ensure that I do not wear large amounts of jewelry or expensive clothes. Flaunting wealth is not acceptable and a Nauruan will potentially ignore you as dictated by custom if you flaunt your wealth. I would not want to embarrass or offend a new family coming to our country. They will need to feel that even though they are in a new country, they and their customs are respected.


3. Nauruans prefer to handle domestic issues privately. They will not air their personal problems and find it embarrassing when other people air theirs. I will be conscious of asking personal questions or relaying personal information to the family. Save exploring a possible abuse situation, I will be respectful of the family’s custom of handling situations within their “clan”. It is important that they are not made to feel that their way is not the wrong way, it’s simply a different value than many other American’s.


4. The mother in the Nauruan household is the decision maker. Women have a great deal of power behind the scenes in Nauru. Therefore, when I am addressing concerns, it is important that I discuss my concerns with the mother first, and ask her permission to speak with the father if necessary. I think showing respect for this part of their culture will allow the new family to feel comfortable speaking with me, and they will know that I will attempt not to “step on any toes” as issues arise.


5. Because of poor diet, the Nauruan people have a large population of obese individuals. The Nauruan government has recognized this problem and has implemented programs to battle the obesity problem such as adding exercise programs to school programs as well as encouraging physical activities after school. It will be important for me to know the options available for this family regarding community programs that offer physical activities. Not only will participating in these programs benefit the child(ren)’s physical development and growth, but these activities serve as wonderful social opportunities for children and families. This can also expose the family to different American customs in a different, more informal setting.


It would certainly be an interesting journey in preparing for the arrival of an unfamiliar family. Within each of my steps, I was able to list the importance and benefits for the family and myself, but I feel many more steps can be taken to really allow the family to feel comfortable and respected in a new environment. If the situation were to arise, I would most certainly expand my preparations.


References


Countries and their cultures: Nauru. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.everyculture.com/Ma-Ni/Nauru.html

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    In response to your question on my blog. There are ways I can access an interpreter for help or locate her to be of assistance to others. My colleague from my previous job is from Bukina Faso in Africa they speak french and I have some Haitian friends as well. But I can also go to my sister who is a social worker so that she can give me ideas on where to go for interpreters. America is a very diversed country there will also be people in need of interpreters in the hospitals, social services office, immigration office and other places of this sort will also need interpreters who will always be in demand.Therefore, culture and language is one of the things that make people different. Thanks for pointing out that question to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was insightful reading your post especially the fact that I have never heard of this country. About the after school activities, i did not think about that also. Thanks for your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this country before, but you did a great research job in finding out about their culture. I am sure if you were to meet a family from Nauru it would go well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that many steps can be taken in order to help a family feel welcomed into a new country. By researching their culture, I believe that they will undoubtedly see how passionate and caring you are that you have taken the time to try to be inclusive. In my experience, although some cultures can be difficult to research, families have been extremely open about their past. Just asking them questions helps them feel that we care!

    ReplyDelete